How do I get an email account?

Student Email or Cmail

Cmail is the College’s student email system powered by Google.

All College of Charleston applicants who have paid their tuition deposit with intent to enroll at the College of Charleston have a email account that is accessible through Your Cmail account is used by the College to contact students with vital information, such as Financial Aid and class registration dates.  You will receive information about the account and password at the email address you used on your application 48 hours after your tuition deposit is processed. 

Faculty and Staff Email

Email accounts are created when you are hired if you are a permanent employee, or a faculty or adjunct faculty member. E-mail accounts are created for all others upon request by your supervisor. A Cougars account, which allows login to campus PCs and MyCharleston, is created for EVERY employee when hired.

Your email address at the College of Charleston is your Cougars username with appended to it. For example, if your name was John Smith and your username was smithj, your email address would be This account is created upon your hiring at the College. If you don’t know your email account name and password, contact Helpdesk at 843.953.3375 or If you need an email account set up, please contact your supervisor or department chair.

What is the College’s Privacy Policy?

Privacy Policy

The College’s Privacy Policy can be found at


This Policy and Procedure governs the security and confidentiality of personal information entrusted to the care of College of Charleston (“College”) to carry out its mission and to certain other sensitive information that is generated and owned by the College. This Policy and Procedure also establishes the principles and processes by which that information will be maintained and managed.


The South Carolina Family Privacy Protection Act provides, in relevant part:

§ 30-2-20. Privacy policies and procedures required of all state entities.

All state agencies, boards, commissions, institutions, departments, and other state entities, by whatever name known, must develop privacy policies and procedures to ensure that the collection of personal information pertaining to citizens of the State is limited to such personal information required by any such agency, board, commission, institution, department, or other state entity and necessary to fulfill a legitimate public purpose.

Implementation and adherence to this Policy and Procedure are necessary to comply with the cited statute and to provide for the protection of sensitive information that is maintained or owned by the College.

The specific purposes of this Policy and Procedure are:

  • To establish a College-wide approach to information security.
  • To prescribe mechanisms that help identify and prevent the compromise of information security and the misuse of data, applications, networks and computer systems.
  • To define mechanisms to protect the reputation of the College and allow the College to satisfy its legal and ethical responsibilities to others.
  • To prescribe an effective mechanism for responding to external complaints and queries about real or perceived non-compliance with this Policy and Procedure.
  • To further reduce the risk of exposure and identity theft when a Social Security Number or other personal identifying information is used by the College as a primary identifier and to provide for the consistent, proper and secure management of such information.


This Policy and Procedure is applicable to all members of the College Community including our faculty, staff, students, visitors and contractors who have access to College records regardless of the medium in which those records are stored or where they are located.

Where can I park on campus?

Parking on Campus

Vehicles parked in a College of Charleston parking lot must have a valid permit properly displayed to avoid receiving a parking citation. Parking services issues parking permits for all surface parking lots and magnetic access cards for several garages located near campus.

Please contact the Office of Parking Services at 843.953.7834 for answers to all of your questions concerning parking on the College of Charleston campus.

Campus Parking Map

The campus parking map is available at

For Guests

Due to the limited number of parking spaces available on the College of Charleston campus, all guests of the College should be directed to park in a parking garage or in metered parking spots. Any guest who considers parking in one of our surface lots is advised to read the posted signs very carefully, as most of our lots are 24-7 permit-only and subject to citations.

Four public parking garages are located close to campus:

  • The College’s St. Philip Street Garage at 81 St. Philip Street (next to the Bell Building); the rate is $0.75 for the first half hour, and $1.00 per hour for each additional hour. The daily maximum is $16.00 per calendar day.
  • The new garage on St. Philip Street between George and Liberty Streets; the rate is $2.00 for the first hour and $1.00 per hour for each additional hour. There is no daily maximum at this garage.
  • The Wentworth Street Garage, located at the intersection of Wentworth and St. Philip Streets; the rate is $1.00 each for the first half hour, and $1.00 per hour for each additional hour.  There is not a daily maximum at the Wentworth Garage.
  • The Francis Marion Garage on King Street next to the Westin Francis Marion Hotel; the rate is $2.00 for the first hour, and $1.00 per hour for each additional hour. There is not a daily maximum at the Francis Marion Garage.

 * Please note that garage rates are subject to change without notice.

Guest garage passes are available to hosting departments that wish to pay for their guests’ parking. Departments may contact the Office of Parking Services at 843.953.7834 for more information concerning garage guest passes.

How can I find my student id number or cwid?

CWID is the campus wide identification number assigned to all faculty, staff, and students.  You can lookup your CWID through MyCharleston.

Option 1

  1. Login to MyCharleston
  2. Click the My Accounts tab.
  3. View your CWID in the Cougar Card Mini Statement channel.


Option 2

  1. Browse to MyCharleston, but do not login.
  2. In the Login box, click the link for Get Login Assistance.
  3. On the Login Assistance page, click the link to Locate Your CWID.
  4. Fill in the required fields and click Submit Information.

What retirement plans does the College offer?

The College offers a choice of retirement plans.  The following information is an overview.  FOr complete details visit


  • All permanent, full-time and part-time employees must join a retirement plan unless specifically exempted by statute.
  • All newly hired adjunct and temporary employees may choose to join SCRS (South Carolina Retirement System) or the State ORP (Optional Retirement Plan). A decision must be made within 30 days from your date of hire.


  • All Public Safety employees must contribute to:

The Police Officer Retirement System

  • All Permanent, full-time and part-time employees must contribute to either:

The South Carolina Retirement System (SCRS)-Defined Benefit Plan, or
The State Optional Retirement Plan (State ORP)-Defined contribution Plan


  • Membership starts with your effective date of employment.
  • Please note that you will automatically be enrolled in the South Carolina Retirement System if you do not select a plan within 30 days.
  • In addition, if you already have contributions from previous employment in a plan, you must continue with that plan.


  • South Carolina Deferred Compensation – You may shelter your savings from current income taxes using one or both of two plans: 401(k) or 457.
  • Roth 401 (k) Plan – available with after-tax dollars
  • Other SRA’s – tax sheltered 403(b) accounts are also available through various vndors including TIAA/CREF, The Hartford, VALIC, and MetLife.

(please contact Human Resources for other participating vendors)

What is the process for resignation or separation from the College?

How should I notify my supervisor that I am resigning?
Provide a written letter of resignation to your supervisor and send a copy to the Office of Human Resources.

What should the letter say?
Include your reason for leaving and the date of your last day of work. It is professional courtesy to give at least two (2) weeks notice of your last day of work. If you are moving, please provide a forwarding address so that we can forward your W-2 in January.

What should I do next?
Make an appointment with the Office of Human Resources to have a Benefits Exit Interview.

What happens at the Exit Interview?
You will be advised of your rights regarding retirement plan funds’ distribution and health insurance conversion. You should turn in your College ID card to human resources. We will also ask you to complete an Exit Interview Survey. The Exit Interview Survey is for statistical and research purposes only. The survey is confidential and is not included in your permanent personnel file. Nothing you write will be discussed with your department unless you give us permission to do so.

What should I do on my last day?
On your last day of employment you should return your keys, parking pass/card and any other College of Charleston property. Be sure your last time sheet is completed, signed and if possible faxed to the Office of Human Resources. This is needed for leave payoff information.

May I vary the amount of money deposited into checking and savings accounts from one paycheck to another?

No. If you authorize a split direct deposit, the portion deposited into ACCOUNT 2 will be a fixed amount and the remainder of your net pay will be deposited into ACCOUNT 1 until such time that you change your authorization form. NOTE: When you change your authorization form, your direct deposit(s) may be interrupted for two pay periods while the change is being processed. You will receive a check rather than a direct deposit stub for these pay periods.

How do I change my name or address?

If you would like to change your name or address, you need to fill out the Name/Address Change Form and bring it to Human Resources with appropriate documentation of the change (e.g. Driver’s License, Passport, Social Security Card).  The form can be found at

  • Form may be completed online (position cursor or tab to each field) or printed and completed in black ink.
  • Address Change must have signature and may be mailed or returned to The Office of Human Resources.
  • Name change requires presentation of new social security card at The Office of Human Resources.
  • If name change is due to marriage/divorce a newly completely W-4 should be submitted