Freshman Admissions Profile
The College of Charleston admissions committee relies on several factors when making freshmen admission decisions. Below is our average student profile for our primary admission factors:
- 3.5-3.8 GPA (Strong B to B+ average on an unweighted 4.0 scale)
- 1100-1240 SAT range for instate students
- 1160-1280 SAT range for out of state students
- 22-26 ACT range for instate students
- 24-28 ACT range for out of state students
- Class rank in the top 20%
- Strong high school curriculum
Our secondary admission factors include:
- Admissions essay
- Leadership skills
- Letters of recommendation (not required)
- Extracurricular activities
Letters of recommendation beyond the counselor recommendation on the Secondary School Report (Part II of Application) are not a formal requirement for application to the College of Charleston. Only applicants who are also applying to our Honors College are required to obtain two (2) teacher recommendations (see Honors application). If you are not applying to the Honors College and still wish to submit letters of recommendation please limit them to two. They must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on the new SAT, visit our website.
We will accept SAT and/or ACT scores from the testing agency or on an official transcript. We use your highest combined scores for the SAT.
Transfer Student Profile
Minimum transfer applicant requirements for at least thirty hours of college-level coursework are:
- 2.6 cumulative GPA for South Carolina residents
- 3.0 cumulative GPA for out-of-state residents.
If you have earned less than 30 (45 quarter) semester hours at the time you submit your application you must also submit a secondary school transcript and the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) or American College Test (ACT) results and must also meet freshman admission standards.
For more information visit the transfer student page.